The Société du Havre de Montréal (SHM) has convinced the City of Montreal to enhance the redevelopment of the Bonaventure Expressway at the gateway to the metropolis. The project is ambitious. It will create a modern, chic, green and pleasant. But to be environmentally friendly, it will create an exclusive corridor for buses bringing its cost from 142 to 228 million. And yet, if the Agence métropolitaine de transport (AMT) is in agreement and if the Quebec government finance the difference, or 86 million.
According to the Mayor Gérald Tremblay, preliminary work underground infrastructure to pave the way for this new district would begin in the coming days. Avec trois mois de retard. With three months late. In May 2008, they were scheduled for March 2009. Collector Williams will be repaired and the Commission services carry out electrical repairs. But when will the deconstruction of the highway? We do not know yet. The mayor believes that the new entrance to the prestigious “will be completed in 2013.
The concept revolves around the central islands, the viaduct of the Canadian National Railway, the western front in the suburb of Récollets, the island of the Commune to the south, Dalhousie corridor to the west and the redevelopment of the corridor Bonaventure area where the highway will be lowered to the ground and transformed into urban street. The lowering of the highway will begin with a road down the apron between the streets of the town and Brennan. From the Brennan Street, the artery will be divided into two roads that split the movement on both sides of the central islands, on Duke Street to the north and south Nazareth.
Last year, the SHM had estimated the public cost of the project to 90 million. Indexed to the dollar today, it is returned to 101 million. But since there were over forty studies in planning, traffic, transportation, environment, archeology, and underground infrastructure for the preliminary road project. Of these studies stem from the new subsidies: more green, more art, more beauty, more of contaminated soil to extract too. It reaches 142 million.
According to the chairman of the SHM, Isabelle Hudon, the creation of the Quartier Bonaventure, rather than the outright demolition of the freeway, offers economic benefits to governments and a return on investment assured for Montrealers. The amounts invested by the City and by the AMT will generate 6.7 times more private sector investment is 1.53 billion. . These investments will provide municipal revenues of 99 million for the sale of land, building permits and transfer taxes, and ultimately revenues of $ 32 million in taxes. The anticipated revenue for Quebec and Ottawa amounted to 224 million and 96 million.
The project is grandiose. Le maire est enthousiaste. The mayor is enthusiastic. “I congratulate the whole team of the Société du Havre de Montréal and its consultants, including Cardinal Hardy firm, for the quality of the project to be submitted for consultation by the Office de consultation publique de Montréal” at he said Thursday in a press conference.
The SHM has recommended that the project is resolutely turned towards the future. Ms. Hudon stresses the importance of giving priority to public transport and active: pedestrians, bicycles, buses, tramways, hybrid cars, carpooling. Sept tracés transit systems were studied. The SHM recommends creating a corridor be reserved exclusively to transport in the Dalhousie Street, in particular to move more quickly to metropolitan bus terminal downtown.
But the project corridor falls within the AMT. The Department of Transport would support him. It must be said that 20 000 people from the south shore in this area arrive by bus each morning and 12 000 car. The aim is to ensure that among the 12 000 drivers, 3 800 finally decided to use a transport to the place where the corridor will be created.
“But there should be greater frequency, better schedules and more comfortable service to be competitive with the car,” said Hudon, Thursday, noting that transit service ‘c’ is economically profitable for the city. ”
Responsible for transportation to the City of Montreal, counsel André Lavallée, the discussion of the corridor is consensus in the region. “Everything indicates that the Ministry of Transport is quite comfortable with it,” he said.
The project was supported by “enthusiastic” in the body Transport 2000, the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal and Dinu Bumbaru, program director of Héritage Montréal.
Autoroute Bonaventure: the dismantling launched within a year
Martin Croteau, La Presse
1 April 2010
The Tremblay administration wants to start the decommissioning of the Bonaventure in a year’s. But creating a corridor of public transport in Dalhousie Street will be revised in the wake of criticism from the Office de consultation publique de Montréal (COMP).
The first phase of $ 260 million, lowering the highway between Brennan Street, near the Lachine Canal, and the Rue Saint-Jacques, center, will go ahead as planned. But the City will review the corridor that would bring hundreds of buses to run every day in Dalhousie Street.
As revealed by The Press yesterday, COMP ranks behind the many citizens who have criticized the corridor at the public hearings held in January. The commissioners recommend instead to implement priority measures for buses on the Boulevard to prevent their passage near a residential area.
Chief Planning Executive Committee, the head of Projet Montréal, Richard Bergeron, who has been delegated by the Tremblay administration to respond to the report of the OPCM. He stressed that the first phase – the lowering of freeway – has been welcomed by the commissioners and the public, and that project will begin construction within a year.
However, the City will look for ways to allow buses to the South Shore to quickly earn the terminus of the Gauchetière they do not spend all the Dalhousie Street. The corridor was exclusively a temporary solution anyway, “says Bergeron. The City will explore the possibility of building a light rail that would borrow the Victoria Bridge to link the South Shore to downtown.
“The corridor Dalhousie, as it was designed so far is a thing of the past,” said Bergeron.
The Société du Havre de Montréal (SHM), mandated by the City to lead the project, will explore new scenarios. But its CEO, Jacques Côté, has not been able to say yesterday what options are envisaged to replace the corridor Dalhousie.
“I do not have answers, I can not give you,” he said. But you think about it and in three weeks, we will have them, those answers. ”
The opposition leader, Louise Harel, welcomed the findings of the COMP, which she denounced the construction of the corridor Dalhousie. She will present a motion at the next council meeting in late April, for the Tremblay administration is taking all the recommendations of the report.
“The abandonment of the corridor is one of the main recommendations of the report, she said. In reading, we say that we must make a first class burial. ”
The transformation of the highway Boulevard should allow a subdivision of 1.5 billion, the Bonaventure Expressway. Once down the highway, SHM proposes to reduce the number of channels and use the land thus cleared the center to erect residential buildings and offices. It would create an “entry premium” for the city.
Some speakers warned the public hearings that the subdivision could undermine the efforts undertaken by other developers to revitalize areas of the suburb of Griffin and monastery. In its report, the OPCM questioned the profitability of such a project.
Richard Bergeron pointed out that several real estate projects are already underway in the sector, and the Bonaventure Expressway will probably not be built until a good decade. In the meantime, the City will transform vacant lots into parks future.
“Then we’ll find in 10 years, in 15 years, in 20 years, what will become the state of thinking on the future of these lands,” said Bergeron. In the meantime, I do not hide it, the trees have grown and people are accustomed to the green space of 800 m long, less side streets. ”